Home » Gas Supply Disrupted in Balochistan After Pipeline Blast

Gas Supply Disrupted in Balochistan After Pipeline Blast

by Web Desk
0 comments
Balochistan

Pipeline Attack in Bolan Area

Gas supply to several towns and cities in Balochistan was disrupted on Thursday after unidentified individuals blew up a main gas pipeline in the Bolan area, damaging the 18-inch-diameter line and forcing the Sui Southern Gas Company (SSGC) to suspend supplies to a number of areas .

According to the gas utility, the explosion took place near Gorkat in Bolan, where unidentified individuals allegedly planted explosives underneath the pipeline and detonated them using a remote-controlled device . The blast badly damaged the 18-inch gas pipeline, causing flames and thick clouds of smoke to rise from the affected section .

The damaged pipeline is located in the Bolan riverbed area near the KMP-246 Valve Assembly, around 700 to 800 metres from the main Quetta-Sibi Road, according to SSGC .

Areas Affected

Following the explosion, gas supplies were suspended to Kolpur, Mach, Mastung, Kalat, Pishin and Ziarat, as well as several areas of Quetta . SSGC said that consumers in the affected areas could experience low gas pressure or a complete suspension of supply until the damaged pipeline is repaired .

SSGC clarified that gas supply to Quetta has not been completely halted, as the provincial capital is also being supplied through a separate 12-inch-diameter pipeline .

Repair Efforts Underway

SSGC spokesperson said the company’s teams had been prepared to travel to the affected site and begin repair work. However, personnel would only be dispatched after receiving the required security clearance because of the security situation in the area . The company said its management was continuously monitoring the situation and that repair work would begin as soon as security clearance was granted.

Pattern of Attacks

The latest incident comes amid a series of attacks on gas infrastructure in Balochistan in recent months. In May, gas supplies to a large area of the province were disrupted after unidentified armed men blew up a gas pipeline in Dera Bugti. Similar incidents were reported in March and earlier months .

Authorities have yet to identify those responsible for the latest attack, and no group has been named by officials in connection with the blast.

You may also like

Leave a Comment