Home » Pakistan Army Chief to Visit Tehran Amid Heightened US-Iran Tensions

Pakistan Army Chief to Visit Tehran Amid Heightened US-Iran Tensions

by Web Desk
0 comments
678883_5314218_updates

Pakistan Mediates as US Threatens ‘Toughest Sanctions’

Chief of Army Staff and Chief of Defence Forces Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir will visit Tehran on Monday to continue Pakistan’s efforts to bring peace and security to the region, Iran’s foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei confirmed on Sunday .

The visit comes at a critical juncture as US President Donald Trump has warned of imposing “the toughest sanctions in history” on Iran, with details expected to be announced on Monday . Pakistan has been playing a key mediating role between Tehran and Washington since the US-Israeli strikes on Iran began on February 28, successfully brokering a two-week ceasefire on April 8 and facilitating the Islamabad Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in June .

Talks to Address Regional Security and Strait of Hormuz

A Pakistani government source told Reuters that Munir will discuss recent developments in the conflict, including Trump’s sanctions threat, peace efforts under the Islamabad MoU, and the situation following the Pakistan-Turkiye-Saudi Arabia Defence Agreement . Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi has said he spoke with Munir to discuss “regional developments and effective ways to strengthen peace, stability and security in West Asia” .

Oil shipments are at a virtual standstill in the Strait of Hormuz, with Tehran threatening to strike any unauthorised tankers that try to transit the vital waterway, and Iran’s economy is already under immense pressure from existing sanctions . The first round of direct US-Iran talks was held in Islamabad on April 11-12 following the Pakistan-brokered ceasefire, but negotiations remain stalled .

Iran Reports Invitation to Join Makkah Defence Pact

Separately, Iran has reportedly been invited to join the Makkah Defence Pact signed by Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Pakistan on August 7 . Mehdi Rahimi, head of the Iranian parliament’s Khaneh Mellat news agency, said the invitation was received and is under review, though no country has officially confirmed the development . Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Baghaei said earlier that Tehran had “no reason for concern” over the establishment of the alliance .

You may also like

Leave a Comment